Sunday, May 9, 2010

Music...some thoughts

I played cello with Elizabeth last night at the John St Jam right here in Saugerties. What a cool event! Musicians sit in a round and take turns playing to the audience, who surround them in all directions threatening to overflow the room.As I sat listening to the music I felt calmer and more at peace than I have felt in weeks. This is the beautiful thing about listening to live music- you can't distract yourself with housework, driving a car, or any other of the meaningless tasks that seem to demand attention when listening to music. Last night I really allowed myself to step inside of the music-let it take hold of my soul and shake me gently into presence. For at least this hour last night, I sat in stillness without the least desire to get up and "do something", and while I was listening, enchanted, to the various musical styles and people playing them,that without question this was the most important thing on the earth for me to be doing. I found a great, great joy in giving myself the permission to let go and witness this magic making that is so full of spirit and life. I am realizing that a good deal of the "lost" feeling that so often threatens to overcome me grows out of a sort of forgetfullnes. I am forgetting to feel joy, forgetting to see the world and all its beings as millions of miracles. Forgetting that each breath brings new life. Being a part of this joyful, music making community last night I felt as though anything was possible. I think that too often I approach my life while thinking "what can I get out of this- where can this bring me?" Instead of "where am I? Where am I? where am I now?" So thank you to everyone who was there last night. I will try to carry this feeling of peace and spirit with me as I move through my day today. Maybe I'll even listen to some music!
FYI - here's the link to the site http://www.johnstreetjam.net/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon! Just discovered this. I'm just figuring it out so bear with me. Hope we talk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found this too - I love the note. I can't remember I really fell into music & it used to happen frequently. Our lives are too distracting...

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts, ideas, feedback, recipes, love stories, etc.